2017 was not a particularly exciting year for me. Actually, it kind of just flew by. However, I did learn and accomplish some vital things both in myself and business. It was a year of a few pretty big things that I hope to act even more on in 2018. But first, let me share what I learned and accomplished.
What I Learned
- How to take and edit photos better. I’ve really learned how to use Adobe Lightroom and have developed my own style of editing. If you didn’t know, you can actually buy my Lightroom Presets, the exact presets I use to edit all of my photos! Click here to see them.
- One of the major things I learned was why I have anxiety and how to get past it. Anxiety has been something that I’ve struggled with all of my life. When I was younger, I was super shy to the point that I almost got held back in kindergarten because I wouldn’t talk. As I’ve grown up, I’ve realized that I get pretty bad anxiety when put in certain situations. I used to be afraid of going to the store alone and would put it off until someone could go with me. This year, I’ve really gotten to the roots of my problems and that’s mainly because of a book I recently read called From Panic To Power by Lucinda Bassett. Read it if you struggle with anxiety too, it definitely helps.
- I’ve learned how to be independent and realized that I can survive on my own if needed. Since graduating high school, I’ve lived with my boyfriend Will ever since. I’ve never really been on my own and we’ve had roommates throughout the years as well. In 2017, I realized that I don’t need to be dependent on him and others, I can survive all by myself. This came from spending a few weeks apart due to traveling. Although, I’d much rather have someone to spend my life with.
What I Accomplished
- I’ve worked with some pretty major brands like Amazon, Motorola, Billabong, Universal Studios, Neutrogena, and Old Navy in 2017. I also had an ambassadorship with Charlotte Russe. I’m so proud to be able to say those things. Of course, it’s all thanks to you guys who read my blog and support me, THANK YOU.
- I started blogging full-time! In June I stopped working my job as a purchasing manager and started being my own boss. Fast forward to November when I was offered a seasonal job working 4 days a week, which I have since accepted. Since I want to start my own swimsuit company (keep reading for more on that) I decided I need to make as much money as I can in order to start that. After this season, hopefully I’ll never have to work for anyone else ever again. At least that’s the plan.
- P.S. I have a whole series of blog posts coming at ya soon all about how to start a blog, make money from it, and more. Also, I have two YouTube videos coming soon showing “a day in the life” of what’s it’s like to be a full-time blogger. Just as soon as I edit those…
- I straightened my teeth! I started Smile Direct Club in the beginning of this year when my teeth were pretty crooked. My front teeth were significantly indented and a few teeth were twisted. Now, my teeth are almost perfectly straight. Straightening my teeth has been on my to-do list for a long time and I’m proud that I took the steps to accomplish it on my own. I have a whole series of videos on my teeth if you want to watch here. I have an update video coming very soon so be sure to subscribe!
- I was featured in a magazine (for the second time!) Artful Blogging did a spread on me and my blog in their Autumn 2017 issue. I got to write the article and my photos were included. Prettttty cool. I was ecstatic about it.
- In 2018, I want to travel more! This one is big for me. Throughout 2017 I explored a lot of the state I’m from, Florida. I travelled around to new cities and had memorable experiences but I hope to travel out of the country more. I’ve only ever been out of the county to the Bahamas! In 2018 I plan to go to Australia (my Dad is actually there now!), Greece, and to Exuma, Bahamas to swim with the pigs. Maybe even Belize if I can afford all 4, those are my top dream destinations and it’s looking more realistic in 2018.
- Create bigger and better DIYs is something I want to accomplish. I want to make more furniture and create more things that require more effort.
- Launching a new business is in my plans. If you’ve been following me on social media, you’ll know that I started a second account, @seaweedthreads. I finally figured out what my main goal in life (career-wise) and that is Seaweed Threads. I’ve been making a lot of my own clothes recently and acting upon a dream I’ve always had of being a fashion designer, I decided I want to start a swimwear line. My love for the ocean combined with designing only made sense to focus on swimwear and beach accessories (hats, bags, etc). However, I want to keep it all eco-friendly and affordable, two things that I have noticed don’t always go together and I want to change that. Seaweed Threads will also donate to different causes helping the ocean and creatures in it because that is important to me. SO be sure to follow along on Instagram for a launch date. I’m hoping for summer of 2018!
- In addition, Will and I started a photography business called Sun & Shade Photography, @sunandshadephoto on Insta, and we will be working on that more in 2018!
- Check off items on my bucket list like learn how to surf and swim with sharks (cage-free!) are a few things I look forward to. I crave more adventure!
- Focus on my health and self-love. I want to eat better, have more genuine moments, and feel better. My whole life I have been lazy, tired, and not that much of a healthy eater. I’ve been studying health recently and I have the tools to become the person I want to be mentally and physically, I just need to act on it. Health is not just diet though, it’s how you spend your time, what activities you do, and how you take care of yourself. I need to focus and work on these things and better myself. Self-love will be working on loving myself more and not comparing myself to others.
Thank you so much for following along and reading everything I write. It amazes me just how many people read my blog each month (30,000 of you!) I hope to create even more wonderful things and inspire more of you in 2018! Cheers, my friends!