Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links which I can earn a small commission off if you click and purchase the item, at no extra cost to you.
Comin’ at cha with a lemon DIY. And for the home as well. I’ve always been obsessed with lemons. I love how they go with pretty much anything and I can’t get enough of anything lemon print. So today I sat down and thought of what I could make with my yellow fabric that I just purchased from Joann’s clearance section. I first tried making a lemon coin pouch but my sewing machine was not agreeing with me. So then I went for a lemon couch pillow, again the sewing machine was working against me. My day was not in favor of me doing a DIY + sewing. So then I turned to my handy dandy “sewing in a tube” glue and decided on placemats. So here they are. (P.S. You can involve the kids in this DIY – it’s that easy.)
- Cut out a large yellow circle. I used the seat of a bar stool to trace this one.
- Cut out a medium sized circle of the white fabric. I used a cake board to trace.
- Cut out a small yellow circle, I free-handed this one. Then cut it into 8 triangles. Round off the top edges of the triangles. These will be your “seeds”.
- Glue the medium sized white circle to the center of the large yellow circle.
- Glue the “seeds” onto the white circle and space them out a bit.
- Let it all dry under something heavy for about 20 minutes or more.
The yellow fabric I found at Joann’s is a vinyl type on top and has a felt feel underneath.
These are what I used to cut out the large yellow circle and medium sized white circle. A bar stool & cake board.
*If your placemat is not dry after 20 minutes, leave it under something heavy for a bit longer until it is.
This is an easy way to add a fun touch to a dinner party or for the everyday dining table. Mixing colors to make a lime or grapefruit placemat would look great as well. And don’t think I’ve fully given up on that lemon coin pouch, or the pillow. When life gives you creativity, you make lemon things. Right?
CLICK HERE to see how I built my dining table.