Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links which I can earn a small commission off if you click and purchase the item, at no extra cost to you.
Denim comes in many shapes, styles, colors, and washes. My all-time favorite type being light wash denim. Something about it reminds me of light and airy mornings, fun summer days, and laying in the grass watching the world go by. Denim is something you can just throw on without giving it a second thought. I feel as though a light wash denim article can go with anything – white, band t-shirts, ice cream cones, whatever you’re feelin’. When it comes to dark washes, I feel held down and limited. You can only wear so much dark denim, but light wash? Layer it up!
When I came across this killer distressed jean jacket from Boohoo (with a 60% off coupon code!), I knew I had to buy it. Partly because the one I currently own is now two sizes too small, and because I can’t pass up cheap distressed denim, on most occasions. I knew when purchasing it that I really wanted a lighter wash and that’s where this DIY came into the picture. Sure I could have just bought a light wash denim jacket but this one fits perfect, is already distressed, and was at a great price.
- Denim jacket (or any piece of denim)
- (2QTs or 1/2 Gallon) Bleach
- Stirring stick
- (3 pitchers) Water
- Put your gloves on before even going near your bleach. Then pour the bleach into a bucket.
- Pour in 3 pitchers of water to dilute the bleach and to also fill the bucket to allow for the article of denim to be submersed. Stir the mixture.
- Add your denim and make sure it is completely covered in the bleach/water mix. Let sit for 25 minutes or until your desired color starts to show. Stir occasionally throughout the 25 minutes.
- Drip dry outside and then wash. *I washed mine twice to get rid of the bleach smell.
If you don’t have time to DIY, here are some similar styles of light wash denim jackets you can purchase: